Lion's Pride: Gwynt

A Monologue
By Cho

This is so.... awkward. I guess I don't write well. Oh, I can write papers, reports, studies, anything technical... but to just write? And about things like this? How do people do this?

Maybe the better question is 'why', but I think I understand that. Words have permanance to them. Words... you can look back on them later and if there's enough of them, if they're eloquent enough, then you can recall how it was you felt when you put them down. They're a way of remembering.

There's so much and I don't know where to start. It's not a storybook. It's not a fairytale, the handsome prince and the beautiful princess living happily ever after. And yet... it is, in a way. I don't feel like a princess but I know he's my prince. He'd laugh at me if I told him that.

I didn't expect it. I wasn't looking for it. If you'd shown me his picture before I ever heard about him or met him or knew him and told me that this was who I was going to fall in love with... I'd probably have thought you were an idiot. Pictures will never do him justice. Words will never do him justice. Just hearing about him will never give you the reality.

He's... real. It's so hard to explain, but he... he's real and he makes me real. Everything is so much simpler with him. So much clearer. When I'm with him all of the labels just fall away. Instructor Cho Iigeru. There's so many things that go with that. Pilot, flight instructor, daughter of my father, my house, my family, my responsibility to all of them, balancing love and duty... Pilot and noble. I've never been able to really be either, stuck halfway between the two, always at a distance and looking in. My family looks at me and sees a borderline disgrace, the black sheep that they just can't understand. The other pilots look at me and see a rich daddy's girl, using her parents' money to get her quick thrills up in the air. Or worse, they don't even look that far - some of them never seem to get past talking to my chest.

Gwynt doesn't do either. Maybe he started out that way, but if he was looking at miss pretty rich girl then I was playing rough and ready instructor, trying to hold my own. I suppose we were even. But after... Hyne. I guess at first it was just the shock of it all, of finding out about him. I couldn't think straight, my head was reeling, and he just kept piling it on. Hard to play the part of the collected instructor when you're picking your jaw up off the ground.

But after that... it was so easy. Like we just fell into it, neither one of us expecting it. And even when he was calling me noble, or ma'am, or instructor... he was still looking at me and seeing me. Not any of the labels. Just me. And it made me feel real, and free, like all of the labels just fell away and suddenly I didn't have to be any of them. I could just be me.

There's nothing false about Gwynt. There's nothing made up or fake. And with him, I don't have to pretend. I can just be me, and labels be damned.

I think I shocked myself by sleeping with him that first time. But I didn't regret it. And now... if it were a fairytale our eyes would have met across a crowded ballroom and it would have been love at first sight. What I'm wondering is if love at first sight has an incubation period, if maybe it can sneak up after the fact and suddenly be there, so seamless that you don't immediately realize it. Because if it can... then I've got it bad.

He doesn't call the wind. He is the wind. He's free, and real, and wonderful, and he makes me feel the same. Why Gwynt? Right there. That's why. Because he's the only person who can make me be just me. Who I don't need to be anyone else with. Who can take everything I do, everything I am... and it doesn't matter. Because we're just us.

I could keep going. There's all the other things... his eyes, the way he looks at me, his voice... I could spend hours just combing my fingers through his hair, it's so much softer then mine is. His attitude, his frankness... just him. Everything about him. Words can't capture it. Pictures and video can't capture it. He just is. And he's perfect.


Gwynt

Lion's Pride